Tuesday, November 1, 2011

4 Leadership Lessons from Halloween



Identity Matters. One of the reasons people like Halloween is that they get to take on a different identity. While that might be fun, as a leader our identity must be consistent and well known. Masks might be fun on that day, but as a leader, I can’t wear a mask. To be most effective I must be real, transparent and authentic.

Engagement matters. While costume parties aren’t my favorite, they are for many people. Why? Because everyone is engaged! Everyone participates! People didn’t even give me too hard of a time for my weak non-costume, because they were spending all their time talking about how much effort they went to in creating theirs. When people are engaged in an activity, the effort isn’t their focus. They will do whatever it takes. How can I raise the level of engagement on my team?

Creativity matters. There sure was creativity on display at that event. Even the attorney at my wife’s office that she says is always straight-laced and proper had a great (and pretty wild) costume. He was telling me about how he came up with the idea and how jazzed he was by the process. When I give people an outlet and purpose for their creativity, they will be creative. As a leader that is an important part of my job.

Fun matters. One of the reasons Halloween is the most popular adult holiday is that it gives people permission to just have fun. There isn’t any other “reason” for the holiday — it is just about fun. As a leader I must remember people need to have fun sometimes to be most productive all of the time.
Before he went to get a second cup of coffee and start his normal daily routine, he read back over his four insights. While driving to work, he realized that the 10 minutes he spent reflecting made his previous day more productive. He was excited to share these lessons with his team, and see what lessons he would capture tomorrow morning.

To read more > visit blog.kevineikenberry.com Best Blogger Tips
  • Stumble This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Share On Reddit
  • Fave On Technorati
  • Buzz This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Digg This Post
  • Share On Facebook
Blog Gadgets